Sunday, February 2, 2014

The anti-life of demonic eyes

In watching TV shows about murderers and reading true crime stories, I have found it fascinating to look into the eyes of someone who has taken the life of another human being.  By fascinating, I mean wondering if we can somehow see a person's evilness in their eyes.  It is said your eye is the lamp of the body and if your eye is healthy your whole body is full of light.  But if your eye is bad, your whole body is full of darkness.  If then the light in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!  (Matthew 6:22,23)  

In my experience with the bagad (the treacherous person I was once married to), his eyes most definitely changed when he was engaged in abusing me.  I also noted the same look in other people's eyes when they were in the thrall of the demonic.  One person in particular comes to mind....a woman who attended the Messianic Jewish services I once attended.  She claimed she had allowed herself to become spiritually wed to demons and was still plagued by them.  She would always ask for prayer, but only wanted the attention given to her as a focus of the congregation's prayers.  The minute you began to address her being healed of the demonic infestation, her eyes would glaze over and she stopped listening to anything being said to her.

This demonic look in someone's eyes has been described as dead, lifeless....even often compared to the look of a shark's eyes.  But I first give credit to a shark, an animal created to be a hunter, doing what it does to survive, even being an honorable part of the balance existing in nature.  A murderer, an abuser, has choices.  They make the choice to consider another human as their prey, their victim.  They do not view their victim as a human being in any way equal to them, they are an object.  An object to be hurt and eventually to be destroyed.

I have seen enough dead animals to know the look of death.  There truly is a light in the eye of any living creature and it is gone in their death.  Their eyes look opaque, there is no depth there.  But the eyes of someone in their murderous rage has life in it....

I actually have defined it as anti-life.  Like we have matter and anti-matter.  There is no depth in those eyes; they look black, as if the pupil has taken over the entire iris.  And there is an eerie shine to the eyes - anti-light. If you have ever seen a black lava rock that is wet....  There is no depth, no color.  It is a mirror of the blackness engulfing the murderer's soul.  It is a reflection of the anger and rage the devil has towards GOD's creation. 

The first time I saw this look in the bagad's eyes, I was frightened.  Yet as I lived with his hatred of me, as the LORD protected me with HIS love, I actually used seeing that anti-light to my benefit.  Just like someone living with an alcoholic, you know that there is no reasoning with a person under the influence - of alcohol, or evil. 

When I now look into the eyes of photographs of murderers, I can often see that.  The thing is, that anti-light isn't always there.  It is there when the hate has taken over.  When they have allowed themselves to surrender to the evil that is always assaulting each one of us.  Those who have had extensive interactions with serial killers often say the killers are generally likeable people, and that in their time with them they have seen this anti-light in their eyes only when the killers speak of the crimes in detail.  That is when they realize the evil they are dealing with.

The observation Yeshua makes in Matthew 6 is so revealing...If then the light in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!   Something to think about.....

No comments:

Post a Comment